Must we stumble through sorrow and tragedy without understanding or is there a lighted way--a path--through suffering? Elisabeth Elliot plots the treacherous passage through pain, grief, and loss a journey most of us will make many times in our life. Through it all, she says, there is only one reliable path, and if you walk it, you will see the transformation of all your losses, heartbreaks, and tragedies into something strong and purposeful. In this powerful moving book, Elisabeth Elliot does not hesitate to ask hard questions, to examine tenderly the hurts we suffer, and to explore boldly the nature of God whose sovereign care for us is so intimate and perfect that he confounds our finite understanding. A Path through Suffering is a book for anyone searching for faith, comfort, and assurance.
We are delighted you are able to join us for our inaugural Genesis Community Church Men’s Retreat at Trinity Pines Conference Center! We are looking forward to a great time together. There will be rich teaching, opportunities for fellowship, and free time to enjoy the outdoors. Hopefully you will come home feeling refreshed and renewed in Christ. Please join us in praying for every man that will attend.
Please note these important details:
• GUEST TEACHER: Jeff Medders, Redeemer Church, Tomball, TXLearning to Lament – When I’m Afraid – Finding Comfort in the Rubble
• CHECK IN – 5:00 - 6:00 PM – PICK UP DINNER ON THE WAY (not included)
Check in begins at 5 pm, Friday, March 9th, at the CHAFIN LODGE. You will go there to receive your room key from Blaine & Johnny. Our first meeting will be a bonfire at 7:30 pm Friday evening on the lake with a time of worship and teaching. You will want to eat (or buy) dinner before you arrive at the retreat center. Sunset is around 6:30, so it would be a good idea to get there before dark to check out the grounds and relax.
• BONFIRE, SESSION 1 | 7:30 Friday Night | Lake
• BREAKFAST | 8:00 – 8:45 Saturday | Retreat Center Dining Hall
• SESSION 2 | 9:00 – 10:30 | Chafin Lodge
• CHECKOUT | 10:30 – 11:00 | Chafin Lodge
• FREE TIME | 11:00 – 12:00
• LUNCH | 12:00 – 12:45 | Retreat Center Dining Hall
• SESSION 3 | 1:00 – 2:00 | Prayer Garden
• SUMMARY/TAKEAWAYS | 2:00 – 2:30 | Prayer Garden
• FREE TIME | 2:30 – 5:00 | Lake & Facility Grounds
• DEPARTURE | 5:00 | Must be off premises by 5:00
• OPTIONAL | Group Dinner at the Potato Shack in Huntsville | 1229 Josey Street
Meals provided – BREAKFAST AND LUNCH SATURDAY. Please note that each meal is a strict 45-minute time period in the Retreat Center dining hall. We will not be the only group there. Bring trail mix, nuts, or other snacks for between-meal munchies.
You will receive your keys at Chafin Lodge so there is no need to check in at any other building.
Each room is supplied with linens and towels and each room has a private bath. Bring your own pillow if you have special requirements.
Recommended packing list:
• Notebook & pen
• Bug spray
• Flash light / headlamp
• Walking shoes / sneakers
• Snacks (granola/protein bars, nuts, trail mix, jerky, lobster thermador (bring enough to share))
• A light jacket in case of cool evenings
• Ear plugs if you are a light sleeper (4-6 people per room)
• If you would like to bring your own coffee mug to use for the weekend, feel free to do so. (Small disposable cups will be available).
• Frisbees, disc golf discs. All other recreational items are provided (basketball courts, volleyball, Putt-Putt golf course, kayaks/paddle boats (weather permitting)).
• Fishing gear (license required)
• Camp folding chairs (optional – may not use)
The Retreat Center discourages food in your lodging rooms due to bugs and wildlife. Some snacks will be provided for our group during free times in the conference room.
Anyone who would like to plan on eating dinner together on the way back from the retreat Saturday, March 10th is welcome to join us at The Potato Shack in Huntsville around 5:30 pm. Reservations are not required. Meals average $6-$10.
If you have any questions regarding the retreat, please contact Blaine Comeaux at 713-870-7926 or email@example.com. Thank you for planning to join us!!
GCC Men’s Ministry Team
Join us on November 19th from 6-9pm for our next Equip the Saints event. This event topic is on "How to proclaim the gospel in your every day life". Please try to join us! For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This Sunday immediately following the church meeting we will have a Thanksgiving Fellowship Meal. We hope you can all plan to attend! The church will be providing the meat (turkeys and hams), and the drinks. We are asking each household to bring your favorite Thanksgiving side, and if you/your family plan to eat dessert, please also bring a dessert. Please bring enough for the size of your household, plus a little extra to cover an visitors that might be attending that day. If you have any questions please contact Sarah Platt at email@example.com
Friday October 27th. 7-10pm at the Church building "Reformation Movie Night, Featuring the movie : Luther". This year is the 500th anniversary of Luther's 95 Theses. His “95 Theses,” which declared two central beliefs—that the Bible is the central religious authority and that humans may reach salvation only by their faith and not by their deeds—was to spark the Protestant Reformation.
- Movie is PG-13, so parents need to determine if their kids can watch it. We will put on a movie in the kids room for all those who don't want their kids watching Luther.
- We will provide popcorn, snacks, and drinks
Please bring a snack to share as well as any of your own "pampering" items you would like to use and/or share with others (i.e. nail polishes, face masks, etc) and your own towel.
The following items will be provided: peppermint foot soak & soaking bins, lavender sugar scrub for hands, beverages.
Personal massages by a licensed massage therapist will be available for $10 for 15 minutes. Please contact Faith Hines at 713-907-99003 by August 1st to reserve your spot.
We are planning on having as many people as we can help us with some of the many things that need to get done around our church. PLEASE SIGN UP IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND
- Change locks on all doors
- Paint hallway
- Paint storage shed
- Clean out attic
- Make labels for giving boxes
- Carve out path from parking field to church back patio and move gravel to path
- Clean up cables on stage by running more cables under the stage
- Clean up and organize back rooms of stage
- Add new LED spotlights on sign at street and bury cables
- Fix water tap at storage shed
- Spot clean carpet
- replace toilets
- Clear tree in front with chainsaw :)
- Paint kids classrooms
FOOD: Taquitos, donuts and coffee for breakfast
It will be potluck style, so we are asking each family to please bring a main course item and a side item of your choice (enough to feed the size of your family plus extra to cover any visitors that might be attending).
And if your family plans to eat dessert, please also bring a dessert to share.
We will have water available to drink and the church will provide the plates, cups, napkins and utensils.
For questions please email: Sarah Platt
The women of GCC will be joining Tomball Bible and participating in their spring women's gathering and hearing from Free The Captives representative Shelia White.
Free the Captives works against human trafficking here in Houston.
The average age of the girls they minister to is 12 to 14. The event starts at 6:45 and there is childcare included, IF you register your children at tomballbible.church.
Please see Jenny or Christian for more information.
9:30 am – Browsing the Tomball Farmer’s Market (meet by the PEAS farm vendor booth)
11:00 am – Lunch at The Whistle Stop Tea Room
After lunch – Shopping at Antique & Boutique stores in Old Town Tomball
3:00 pm – Reconvene at Tejas Chocolate and BBQ
If you are unable to attend the whole day please feel free to meet up with us at whatever point you are able to throughout the day.
Please RSVP to Sarah Platt by April 1st if you plan to attend the lunch at Whistle Stop so that we can make reservations.
Join us for a dinner and live auction to help the Brantner Family bring their boy home from China!
Bringing Home Brantner Boy will help the Brantner family raise the final amount of funds needed to bring their boy home! If you aren't able to attend in person, please consider donating towards the event.